Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The Scoop on Poop

Since Marlee was born, it has become a frequent topic of conversation in our house. For the past couple of weeks, MJ has decided to go only when she feels like it, which can mean skipping several days. After calls to the pedi, I've been told that this is because breastmilk is the perfect food and creates very little waste. This is BS. Why do I know this is BS (at least in MJ's case)? Because when she decides to go, it is not "very little waste." It is 4-5 days of poop. Out the diaper, up the back, in the armpits and hair kind of poop. "Very little" my pregnancy-enhanced tush. And both of the times I've had the pleasure of experiencing the big poop, it has been just hours after giving my sweet girl her bath. So she gets another. It's a good thing she likes it. My advice for mommies with babies who have skipped a few days...try a bath.

5 comments:

Sara-bara-butt said...

AHAHAHA WOW Renee you should right a book! you've got a great literary voice, and you're quit honest! Love you lots! hope to hear from you soon! PS This website was a great idea!!!

Sara-bara-butt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Yep-- breastfed babies do poop less often... but there is more of it when they do! For sure. Glad you found I way to remedy the situation...

Oh- and poop will continue to be a topic of conversation for years to come!

Heather said...

Sorry to hear that you are having troubles but I assure you the doctor is correct. My son did the same thing and my doctor told me that once they go after 4 - 5 days you will know it. If it's not hard than they are not constipated just working the way nature intended.

Might I suggest a slightly larger diaper size. Sometimes that helps to avoid blow-outs.

Enjoy the one diaper a week while you can, now my son is every day, sometimes two or three times a day!! :-)

Grandma Cathy said...

You go MJ!!! And go and go!! Paybacks are... Well you know what they say!!

Renee, I LOVE how you tell the stories of everyday motherhood!! You make me laugh till I cry. Sometimes you just make me cry (happy tears, of course). All the time, you make me proud!

Grandma Cathy