Friday, August 28, 2009

Okay, Here's the Scoop.

I guess people have been getting bits of information from different sources, and everyone is all worried about me. I'll start this post by saying that I'm good, Slim is GREAT, and everything is right on track.

  • Sunday I started having what I thought were false labor pains and some contractions. The pain got worse through the night.
  • Monday morning I saw my midwife. She determined that the pain was separate from the contractions and suspected a GI parasite.
  • Felt good Monday evening. The three of us went out to dinner for MJ's birthday.
  • Early Tuesday morning, the pain was unbearable, and I drove myself to the ER. (note: I went to a close hospital, not where I'm delivering, so I was handled by on call docs. My midwife and OB are miffed b/c I didn't call them at home :))
  • The ER wanted nothing to do with me, of course, and sent me to Labor and Delivery.
  • I was hooked up to fetal monitoring. I continued to have steady contractions, but not labor. Blood in my urine and elevated white blood cell count let to diagnosis #2, UTI/Kidney infection.
  • Got some IV fluids and antibiotics, left feeling a bit better.
  • Felt GREAT Tuesday afternoon, and finally slept a bit Tuesday night.
  • Wednesday afternoon, pain was back. Called midwife, who called other hospital for extended test/culture results. Turns out there was no bacteria in my culture, so I was treating an infection that didn't exist.
  • Midwife has me come to L&D at her hospital, calls in OB to see me as well.
  • Doc determines that the only possible thing left that would explain my symptoms and test results (blood in urine w/ no infection) is kidney stones. He orders up a shot of narcotics for pain. Not much else we can do.
It's Friday now, and the pain has really subsided. I expect it will flare up again as the stone(s) try to leave my system. Hopefully I won't dismiss labor pains as kidney stones!

Through all this pain and drama, Slim is moving and shaking and passing all of her non-stress tests with flying colors.

2 comments:

Angela - 02.04 said...

Renee, did they check for gall stones. I hear that a lot of women have gall bladder issues with pregnancy and know may who have had to have their gall bladders removed post-pregnancy. I'm glad that you're feeling better!

Jennifer said...

good grief, this is getting ridiculous. i'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers...hopefully this has been a relaxing weekend for you!