Saturday, August 16, 2008

What Part of "Nur-Na" Don't You Understand?

I have started the process of slowly and gently weaning Marlee. We've dropped one day time feeding, but I have to keep her distracted so she doesn't realize it. A few days ago, I got her up from her nap and sat on the floor to play (we used to nurse after every nap). After a while, MJ crawled in to my lap, nuzzled me, and said, "Nur-na (nurse)?" I said, "Not now. Ooh, let's read this book!" A few pages in..."Nur-na?" "Look! Mommy has your hippo!" "Nur-Na?" "Let's play music!" At this point, she crawled over to our end table, opened the drawer where I keep my nursing cover for times when we have company over, took it out, crawled back to me and put it in my lap. "NUR-NA!"

This is going to be harder than I thought.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh man, When J was about 15 months, she went through this phase where she wanted to nurse every 2.1 seconds. It was like having a newborn, only worse because we'd get settled and she'd nurse for no more than 2 minutes. (I mean, at least make it worth my time and energy!!)

A very dear friend of mine told me to try distraction.... I can't even tell you how many towers of legos I built. J didn't buy it either.

My advice? Leave the house. Get out of the 'normal' places she would nurse. Go to the mall, park whatever, but just be busy!

Jennifer said...

will she get distracted if you give her some real milk in a cup?
maybe that would satisfy her and take her mind off nursing?

luckily johnny was too busy to realize when he was hungry (i was always the one stopping him from doing something when it was time to nurse), so i don't have much advice in this department.

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH SHE'S SO SMART!!! I love you guys and hope all is well!!! LOVE YOU LOVE YOU LOVE YOU ALL!!!

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

oh that is just to cute. I can see how this will be very hard for you both.

Laura said...

She's such a smartie :)

That's really sweet! Honestly, I wish Rebecca had made it a little harder on me. She was all "Whatever mom, look a boat!" when we started weaning. LOL

Hopefully she'll take your hints and it'll go smoothly