Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I'd Like an Order of Caution with a Side of Fear, Please

Marlee June has no fear. She sticks her face under the running water in the tub, or lays on her belly dunks her head under water. She lets go when standing...sometimes she has her balance, others not so much. This morning she pulled up on the loveseat, cruised down to the other end, let go, turned around, and grabbed the coffee table. How that little event didn't end in tears I don't know. She did it successfully, but what about the next time? She's also started pushing her wagon she got for Christmas, but it rolls faster than she can "walk." It gets too far ahead of her, and she's leaning forward at an angle. One of these days, she's going to hit her face on the push bar or the floor, I just know it. Oh, and don't get me started on the standing in the tub. I was hoping the novelty would wear off, but she still thinks it's loads of fun. She got her first real scrape Saturday at our block party. She was crawling downhill on our neighbor's driveway and scraped her chin on the concrete. I'm not so worried about the scrape...it's stitches I'm afraid of. It's not that I want to raise a sissy girl--I certainly never was one--but a tiny dash of fear would be helpful at this stage in the game.

5 comments:

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

oh my goodness what a tom boy! Sam has no fear either.... but he has not thought to stand in the tub yet (please on't tell him Marlee!)

Anonymous said...

Liam suffers from a fear deficiency as well. Bathtime - if he didn't sit back down when we told him to, then we IMMEDIATELY ended the bath (learned this one from John and Melissa - it works!). Other stuff... you may have to start getting "that tone" in your voice when you tell her not to do something. She'll resist for a while, but will start to learn that mommy means business. THAT will put some fear into her! -K

Melissa said...

Fear? What's that? J walked up the front steps today like she was 30. The same ones she fell down yesterday and scraped her lip and chin on. (Which she screamed about, but did NOT want ice. I swear I thought she was going to spit on it, rub some dirt on it and be done with it.)

Don't even get me started on the playground.

Jennifer said...

oh yes, i'm familiar with this. johnny has started pushing on any & all exterior doors in our house whenever he walks past them -- in hopes that one isn't closed all the way and he can make a quick escape outside. this has happened a few times so far (when i've let the dogs out back and not shut the door all the way) in just mere seconds. scares me to death that he just toddles on out to start his adventure before i even realize what's going on !

Jenn said...

I'm just starting this phase too. Emily also tried standing in the tub this week, which scares me. I think that was actually the first time I felt like I was disciplining (I just made her sit down right away and not stand like she wanted, and told her "no"). I have a little seat for the tub, which helps. I like Kelly and Melissa's idea about ending the bath immediately. And now that Emily is crawling and standing up, she's started falling along with it, and then a few tears. It makes me sad to see her hurt, but I guess I had better get used to it.